An opportunity for Fixed Wireless Access. For several years, numerous countries have agreed on a strategy of connecting their territories with fiber. As such it is being deployed today on a very large scale. However, operators are beginning to realize that this excellent solution hits some limitations in the “last kilometers” where it becomes increasingly complicated, and more importantly not profitable, or even, expensive.
At the same time, some countries have already started to gradually phase out copper wiring and with the deadline fast approaching, operators are finding themselves faced with a major problem: how to provide high-speed, high quality broadband connectivity in vast, often sparsely populated suburban and rural areas , while remaining profitable.
To resolve this “last kilometers” problem, the advancement and deployment of 5G now offers a way out for operators who can rely on FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) technology. It is emerging as the one of the promising solutions to solve the problem of the unreasonable costs when making high speed connectivity in rural areas.
There is a but. This promising solution requires the installation of equipment outside and/or drilling holes in the walls to pass cables. It also often means keeping the CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) next to the window to get the maximum signal from the outside. These limitations are mainly due to the strong insulation of buildings which are increasingly opaque to electromagnetic waves.
These installation considerations can require additional effort, or even be a hindrance for municipalities or a typical user wishing to take full advantage of this new service,.
Easy adoption of Fixed Wireless Access FWA
At WAVE by AGC, we have solutions that can limit or even eliminate these efforts. They can make it easier for users to adopt the FWA solution and enjoy its benefits without its installation challenges.
What WAVE offers for FWA is:
- Making glass transparent to electromagnetic waves with WAVETHRU. This solution offers the advantages of:
- being to use only indoor equipment’s, which reduces the cost of installation (no need for outdoor equipment with specific requirements for weather resistance), and
- eliminating the need to make holes in the wall to pass cables.
- WAVEANTENNA-FWA like our other WAVEANTENNA products (WAVEATTOCH, Wi-Fi/P5G) the WAVEANTENNA-FWA product is based on WAVE technology. For the development of the transparent antenna, the technical specifications meet the needs of the FWA solution.
- WAVEANTENNA-FWA is a discreet transparent antenna connected to the CPE and installed inside the building behind windows treated by WAVETHRU in a very discreet manner (vs. a CPE facing a window). This antenna captures the 5G signal from outside, and via the CPE allows indoor connectivity. It delivers:
- Increased flexibility of the location of the CPE (not necessarily facing the window).
- Improved aesthetics of the overall installation.
- High performance levels.
To summarize, by adopting Wave solutions for FWA (WAVETHRU & WAVEANTENNA-FWA), it is possible to overcome the constraints/limits of an FWA installation:
- no holes are necessary,
- the cost of equipment is lower,
- the location of the CPE can be flexible,
- better aesthetics can be achieved while maintaining a high level of performance.
Last but not least, thanks to WAVE by AGC solutions, users don’t have to make sacrifices regarding aesthetics, or undertake an outdoor installation.
Based on the market feedback, after the 5G mid-band considered today for FWA, the future for this solution will be in the mmWave. This spectrum presents additional challenges that are more critical compared to the sub-6GHz spectrum: high attenuation and penetration loss. WAVE by AGC has already developed mmWave WAVETHRU solution for the FWA market in this new spectrum. The validations have been carried out and the results are impressive.
Ready to elevate your connectivity? Get in touch with us today and experience the future of Fixed Wireless Access.